While attempting to use a Chromecast, it can be frustrating to receive an error message such as: “Could not communicate with your Chromecast”.
Let’s take a look at what the error message means and some troubleshooting steps you can take to fix the communication problem.
Could not communicate with your Chromecast message? How To Fix
If you’re reading the error message “Could not communicate with your Chromecast”, you will need to re-establish a connection between your Chromecast and Wi-Fi Network.
The quickest way to do this is to follow the instructions below and carry out a Chromecast reset:
- Make sure the Chromecast is plugged in, powered up, and connected to the television’s HDMI port
- Locate the small button on the side of the Chromecast
- Press and hold the small button for up to twenty-five seconds
- Wait for the light to start flashing, once the light turns white it will start the reset sequence
Your Chromecast device will now need to be set up as if you are using it for the first time.
This allows your Chromecast to communicate with your network rather than having no connection to the network at all.
How do I know if Chromecast is connected to WiFi?
First things first, you’ll need to ensure that your Google Chromecast is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
It’s a good idea to make sure your Chromecast is on the same network as your other devices, such as your mobile phone or tablet. Also, check that your Wi-Fi router is switched on and functioning correctly.
Go to the Google Home app and check the connection:
- Open the app, in the top right click Devices
- Find Chromecast and click the three dots > Settings
- You should see your Chromecast name
- Underneath your Chromecast name should be the Wi-Fi network your device is connected to
Your Chromecast should now be ready to stream as it is connected to the network. Make sure the cast device (such as a mobile phone or tablet) is also connected to the same network.
How do I set up Chromecast on my TV?
Now that your Chromecast has rebooted, follow these steps:
- Open the Google Home app
- Navigate to the top-left of the Google Home screen
- Select Add > Setup Device > Set Up new devices
- Follow the instructions on the app and you’re all set
Finally, make sure to connect your cast device to the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast.