Does your LG Smart TV keep on rebooting while you try to watch your favorite programs? Well, if that’s the case, let us show you how you can fix it by following simple and easy troubleshooting steps.
If your LG TV keeps turning off and restarting by itself this could be because of the automatic timer settings on your TV. In the TV settings, find the ‘time‘ option and ensure the on and off times are disabled.
Similar to the LG screen dimming issue, many users have reported that their LG TV keeps on rebooting. Let’s find out some additional reasons for the continuous rebooting and why the issue occurs.
Why Does My LG TV Keep Restarting Itself?
If your LG Smart TV keeps restarting or turning on and off by itself, it can be due to one of the following reasons.
- The cables on your LG TV are either compromised or not fixed properly
- Low batteries in the remote sending random signals resulting in intermittent TV reboot
- The timer on your LG TV is set to On mode to turn the TV automatically off and on
- The devices connected to the TV are malfunctioning which is causing the TV to turn on by itself
- Internal HDMI and CEC settings as the TV can turn itself on or off if the HDMI device is turned on and off
- The TV motherboard is damaged and the unit needs to be replaced
How Do You Fix A LG TV That Turns On and Off?
Follow these steps to troubleshoot and fix your LG Smart TV that turns on and off by itself.
Check Cables and Connections
The first thing you need to check when your TV keeps on restarting itself is the cables. The problem manifests if the connections are loose on the TV Set. Furthermore, the power outlet has small springs in the socket that can turn loose when you plug in the TV’s power cable.
Therefore, you need to check the power outlet’s socket condition to see if the wire is firmly connected in one place. Secondly, LG provides a separate cable to its buyers that you can plug into the socket and the TV. If you suspect that the cable is bent or damaged, replace the cable.
Next, have an electrician take a look at the current coming out from your outlet. The current fluctuation is often the main cause of your TV turning on or off by itself. Repair or change the power outlet if it’s causing an issue with the TV.
Check the TV Timer Settings
LG TVs come with automatic timer settings. This feature is very useful as it allows you to turn on or off your TV at a specific time. To check if the active timers are the source of the issue on your LG TV:
- Press the SMART button on your LG TV remote control
- Select Settings and navigate to Time, then press Enter or Wheel
- Check if the off time and On-time settings are configured
- Set up both the On and Off timer to the off position
Check HDMI Settings and System Updates
Sometimes, internal HDMI and CEC settings on the TV can cause it to turn on and off when the HDMI device is turned on and off. Also, your LG TV can turn itself on when new software updates are applied to the TV by the vendor.
You can take care of this problem by disabling the HDMI and CEC settings on your LG TV. If this does not solve your issue, move on to the next fix.
Change Remote Control and Its Batteries
The LG remote control can catch dust and debris. It can cause the power button on the remote to get stuck when pressed. If it’s the case, open the remote control by yourself or take it to the electrician for quick service.
Furthermore, the low batteries in the remote control send false or late commands to the TV set. This can result in intermittent TV rebooting. If you are pressing the power button multiple times to turn on your TV, put in a new set of batteries and then reprogram it to check if your problem is fixed.
Soft Reset Your LG TV
If all of the above fixes fail to solve the LG TV restarting issue, do a soft reset by the following method.
- Unplug the TV from the main power outlet
- Wait for at least 30 seconds
- Plug the LG TV back into the main power outlet
- Turn on the TV and see if the automatic rebooting issue is gone
How Do You Reset an LG TV?
Quite a few users reported that the LG Smart TV rebooting issue was fixed by resetting it. Therefore, this fix can work for you as well. To reset the LG TV:
- Grab the LG remote and open all settings by selecting the Option Support and press Enter
- Use the up and down arrow keys to navigate to the General option
- Highlight and select the General option
- Now scroll through the options and select the “Reset to initial settings” option
- Your LG TV will now display a warning message and ask you if you want to reset the TV to factory defaults
- Select “Confirm” to the message and enter the PIN code
- The TV will start the reset process and will restart when it is done
After the successful reset process, check and verify that your LG TV is not turning off and on by itself. If the issue persists, take the TV to the authorized LG dealer in your area.
We hope that this guide helped you fix the LG smart TV that keeps on rebooting issue. However, if none of the above fixes works in your favor, the TV motherboard may be damaged. In this case, you can send the TV to LG services for repairs.