Will your Sky Glass not turn on? Does the TV power light flicker on and off intermittently? It’s a problem that can cause an inconvenience when your favorite show is streaming on Sky TV.
The Glass features a TV with built-in Sky services, removing the need to buy all of the additional devices of Sky Q. It is a complete package for subscribers as Live TV, Netflix, and other streaming platforms are merged into one interface.
The Sky Community has been bombarded with several posts that ask for help turning on the Sky Glass TV. This article discusses some straightforward fixes to help you resolve your issues so that you can continue watching your favorite shows.
Why is Sky Glass TV not turning on?
If your Sky Glass TV is not responding and it takes numerous attempts to turn it on, it could be due to one of the following reasons.
- The power cable is not connected firmly to the socket or back of the TV.
- A temporary glitch in the TV software is causing an issue powering it on.
- Sky Glass TV power cable is faulty and needs to be replaced.
- The Sky Glass unit is damaged.
How do I fix Sky Glass not turning on?
Unfortunately, some Sky users are switching on their TV for the first time in the day, and it keeps cutting off immediately after the Glass logo is shown.
Try the following troubleshooting steps if your Sky Glass is unresponsive or won’t turn on after a few hours.
Check Your Power Cable
Sky Glass will not start if there is a problem with the power cable. Therefore, you need to make sure that the cable has a firm connection between the socket and the back of the TV. If there is a slight problem with the connection, such as a loose grip or fitting, the TV will not turn on.
Also, you need to be very careful while inspecting the power cable, as it can lead to sparking from either end of the line.
Power Cycle Sky Glass
The second procedure is to give your TV a power cycle, which is essential to let your TV reinitialize its pre-configured settings or recover from a crash. Here are some simple steps you can follow.
- Disconnect all power cables from the TV.
- Wait for 2 minutes so that all of the capacitors go through a complete power cycling process.
- Reconnect the power cable, but turn your TV on after waiting for an additional 15 seconds.
Try connecting the cable to another device
There is a high probability that there might be a problem with your power cable; here are some steps that will help you test your power cable.
- Disconnect the power cable from your TV.
- Find a device that uses the same power cable.
- Connect the power cable to the other device.
- Finally, see if it turns on.
In case the other device does not power up, your power cable is faulty. Therefore, you should try powering your TV with another cable. Once you get hold of another power cable, do the following steps.
- First, switch off the socket before inserting the power cable.
- Connect the cable to the back of your TV.
- Next, Switch on the socket and wait for 15 seconds.
- Now power on your TV.
Your Sky TV should power on if you are using a new power cable. However, if it still doesn’t power on, then there may be a fault in your TV itself. In this case, you should contact Sky’s helpdesk and ask them for a replacement.
How do you reset sky glass?
If your Sky Glass turns on after disconnecting and reconnecting the power cable numerous times, it points to invalid stored information on the TV software. To fix the issue, try factory resetting your Sky Glass. However, the process will deregister apps, and you’ll lose your playlist as well. To do this:
- Grab the Puck remote and press the Home button.
- Next, scroll and select the Settings option.
- Now choose “System Management” from the list and select the Resets & updates option.
- Select “Factory Reset” and wait for the Glass TV to complete the process.
- Finally, reboot Glass TV and confirm that it turns on instantly.
Is Sky Glass a regular TV?
Sky Glass pretty much functions as a regular TV, and you can use it without a Sky ultimate TV subscription. However, since it possesses all the Sky services, you will have to link the TV to a Sky account to watch live or on-demand TV through other TV apps such as BBC iPlayer, or Netflix.
You can also connect your gaming consoles or other streaming devices to Sky glass and enjoy gaming or streaming. However, linking your Sky Glass with a Sky account is a must, as you will not be able to use any of the features without it. The Sky TV comes with an aerial socket that will allow you to view Freeview channels available in your area.
If you decide to skip the Sky ultimate TV subscription, you will miss out on numerous features, such as:
- Ability to pause or rewind Live TV
- Fast-forwarding through ads
- Build a personal playlist of your favorite shows
- Voice control
- Glance Motion Technology
- Sky Auto-Enhance will optimize your audio and video according to what you’re watching
- Intelligent recommendations according to your interests
We hope that this guide helped you fix the “Sky Glass won’t turn on” issue. The likelihood is there is an issue with your power cable. Therefore, make sure you have an extra cable in your house as the original can get damaged during self-install or wear and tear over time.
Furthermore, if nothing else works, you may need to Sky Helpdesk and ask for a replacement unit.