There is nothing more frustrating when the entertainment devices break down on you. If you have a Sony Bravia or other Sony smart TV model and its screen goes black, this guide will explain why it happens and how you can troubleshoot the issue.
Sony TVs have excellent picture quality, extra features, and fantastic colour accuracy. Sony’s build quality is also better, and their high-end and mid-range TV models compete well with other brands; however, the company doesn’t offer a lot of budget-friendly models.
Despite the reliability, Sony TV can break down. In many cases, users notice a black screen or no picture when they least expect it. The good news is that we have some fixes for you that you can try before thinking of sending the TV for costly repairs or replacement.
Why does my Sony TV keep showing a black screen?
If your Sony TV shows a black screen, it could be due to any of the following reasons.
- A temporary malfunction in Sony TV software is causing the screen to go black.
- Sony TV power cord or HDMI cable is loose or faulty.
- The cable connection between external devices and TV is compromised.
- Energy-saving or sleeper mode is active on your Sony TV.
- Picture panel calibration is activated on the TV.
- Sony TV’s backlight adjustment is misconfigured.
How do I reboot my Sony TV?
If Sony TV turns on, but you see a black screen, a quick reboot often fixes the issue. To do this:
- Turn off your Sony TV and wait 5 minutes to let the TV cool its internal lamp.
- Next, unplug the TV power cord from the main electrical outlet and wait another minute.
- Now plug the power cord back to the main wall.
- Finally, turn on your Sony TV and verify that you don’t see a black screen anymore.
How do I fix my black screen on my Sony TV?
Try the following troubleshooting steps if rebooting the Sony TV did not fix the black screen issue.
Check your remote
Sometimes, you can turn on your Sony TV with the power button on the front panel rather than using the remote power button. It means that the remote batteries are dead. Therefore, try replacing the batteries and see if this fixes the issue.
Check TV cords
If you are using an external device with your Sony TV, ensure a proper cable connection between the two. To do this, unplug all the connection cables and plug them in securely and tightly.
Additionally, make sure that the Sony TV power cable is in good working condition. One way of ensuring that is to connect the power cable with another device and look for any issues. Afterwards, replace the power cable with the one supported by Sony.
If power and connection cables are all fine and dandy, take a close look at the HDMI cable for any damage. Replace it if the cable shows signs of wear and tear or damage. Otherwise, switch the HDMI cable from one TV port to other.
Disable energy-saving or sleeper mode
Some users accidentally turn on the energy-saving or sleeper timer option on their Sony TV, resulting in a black screen. To turn off sleeper timer and energy-saving option:
- Press the HOME button on the supplied Sony TV remote.
- Next, select the Settings option and go to the Timers section.
- Now select the Sleep Timer and set it off.
- Head back to the TV’s Setting menu, select the Power/Energy-saving mode option and turn it off.
Unplug exterior devices
You may have been using an external device such as SAT Box, DVD Player, Cable Box, or a streaming device causing the black screen issue on your Sony TV. Therefore, try restarting the devices to clear the temporary faults in them.
If the issue persists, try to connect a different device to your Sony TV or the same device to another TV. This way, you can check the source of the problem.
Turn off picture panel calibration
Many Sony TV models come with an OLED screen that goes black when you turn it on. To fix the issue, turn off the Picture Panel Calibration in the following way.
- Go to your Sony TV Settings menu.
- Next, select Retail mode settings, Device Preferences, or Picture reset mode, depending on your Sony TV model.
- Finally, turn the option off and see if this fixes the black screen problem.
Check Sony TV Backlight Brightness
You may have misconfigured the backlight adjustment on your TV. To reconfigure the settings:
- Press the Menu or Home button on your Sony TV and select the Picture option.
- Next, use the navigational buttons on the remote to select the Backlight option.
- Finally, use the remote keys to adjust the backlight brightness that works well with your TV.
Update your Sony TV
If none of the above troubleshooting steps fixes the black screen issue, try updating the Sony TV software in the following way.
- Head to the Sony website and search for your TV model.
- Next, look for a firmware update option and download it on your PC.
- Now transfer the downloaded file to your USB.
- Insert the USB into the Sony TV USB slot and power on the TV.
- Finally, wait for your Sony TV to detect the USB drive and install the updates automatically.
How do I hard reset my Sony TV?
Your last resort should be to factory reset your Sony TV to fix the black screen. To do this:
- Leave the TV unplugged for one minute and turn it on afterwards.
- While holding the UP ARROW button on the remote, press the Power button on the Sony TV and release it immediately.
- Now, depending on your Sony TV model, you may see a RESET or green LED flash on the screen.
Hopefully, this guide helped you fix the Sony TV black screen issue. We recommend trying the easy fixes before performing the more complex ones. Your Sony TV may need servicing or repairs if you still see a black screen. People often tend to replace or upgrade their TV sets instead of performing costly repairs.