If you’re an avid user of TikTok, you’re more than likely going to require the report feature at some point.
However, in what cases can you report an account/video/hashtag, and what will TikTok do about this?
If you’re looking for further guidance on reporting a TikTok or you aren’t sure how to do so, we’ve got the answers to help with your query.
Are TikTok reports anonymous?
Yes, TikTok reports are anonymous. Like most social media reporting a video on TikTok is an entirely anonymous process.
Before reporting an account, make sure it violates the community guidelines or terms of service. It won’t be taken down if it is something you dislike, but it does not go against these terms.
If you’re unsure, follow the steps to report the content. If it doesn’t fit any of the categories on the report, it is likely not a violation. However, be sure to block the content if you do not like it.
Content such as pornography, harassment, hate speech and endangerment, all fall under the report policy.
How to report someone on TikTok
Reporting a video on TikTok
If you’re unsure of how to report a video on TikTok, follow these steps:
- Select the share button in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen
- Following on, click report, and choose why it should not be on the platform from a list of options – these include misleading information, dangerous organizations, and illegal activities.
- Make sure to click submit once you’ve completed your report.
- Once you’ve submitted a report, you should hear back within 48 hours.
Reporting a hashtag on TikTok
If you notice a hashtag that is inappropriate and breaches the site’s guidelines, you can report this. You do this by tapping the hashtag you want to report, tapping share, and then report. Similarly to reporting video, you then need to write a report for TikTok to investigate.
There are two different ways to report comments, depending on if you’re looking to report one comment or multiple. To report one comment, you need to long-press the comment you want to report, then click select and fill in the report. However, if you’re looking to report multiple comments, e.g., high amounts of spam, here’s how:
- Long press on a comment or tap the pencil icon in the upper left corner to open a window of options
- Then select manage multiple comments, where you can choose up to 100 comments
- Once you’ve chosen the comments, tap more, then report comments.
Report a user on TikTok
If you’re looking to report a user on TikTok, be sure that they’ve breached the rules before attempting to report them. However, if you want to report a user, here’s how:
- Go to the user’s profile
- Tap ‘…’ then select report
- Next, follow the instructions, including why you want to report the account.
- Then press submit
Are you having issues with the TikTok following page not working? Here are some easy fixes to your problem.
What happens when you report someone on TikTok?
Depending on what the account you reported did, will depend on the outcome. However, here are some things users can expect if they have been reported:
- If you’ve reported a video, TikTok will then put this under review. A report resolution can take anywhere between a couple of hours to a full week. This depends on how busy their reports team is. Until this has been reviewed, the video will no longer be able to be watched. If it is flagged during the upload process, it will not be uploaded until it has been looked into.
- It has been known that TikTok has a zero-tolerance policy; therefore, if you report somebody and they are found to have breached the terms, they will be banned from the platform.
If TikTok finds the account has breached the terms and conditions of the site, then they may disable/ban the account. If you’re unsure if you’re breaching the community guidelines, you can find these here.
Reporting someone on TikTok, will they know it was you?
All TikTok reports are anonymous and will be kept anonymous regardless of the outcome. So the user won’t know that it is you that has reported them.
TikTok report a problem with feedback
To contact TikTok, you can either report a problem on the app or use the TikTok feedback form. Alternatively, you can email them via [email protected]. If your issue relates solely to the app, TikTok advises you to report it there.
If you disagree with a TikTok decision e.g., a report, you can appeal this.
How to cancel a report on TikTok
Unfortunately, if you have submitted a report on TikTok, you cannot remove this. So sadly, for the user, until it is reviewed, their content could be restricted. This is why TikTok urges those who are submitting reports to check the community guidelines before doing so.
We hope this has helped and if you have any further issues, feel free to get in touch.