HBO Max is a popular streaming app available to many streaming devices, including smart TVs. If you have an HBO Max subscription, you may have noticed that the app sometimes won’t download, install, or freeze on your LG smart TV.
If HBO is not working on your LG smart TV there is usually an issue with your internet connectivity or you are running an outdated HBO Max app version. To get the app working, test the internet connection under TV Settings>Advanced>Network or update the HBO app to the latest version.
A few issues are frustrating users when it comes to watching HBO content on an LG smart TV. These issues vary from downloading the app to not being able to play TV shows and movies. In this article, we will explore the reasons for these problems and discuss quick troubleshooting solutions to fix them.
Why won’t HBO Max work on my LG Smart TV?
If the HBO Max app is not working on your LG smart TV, it could be due to the following reasons.
- Your LG TV model is not compatible with the HBO app.
- You are experiencing internet speed or Wi-Fi signal strength issues.
- You have not updated the HBO Max app or the LG TV software to the latest version.
- Third-party apps installed on your LG TV are creating a conflict with the HBO Max app.
How do I get HBO Max app on my LG TV?
You can download and install the HBO Max app on your LG smart TV in the following way.
- Grab the supplied TV remote and press the Home button.
- Next, use the remote buttons to select the LG Content Store option.
- Now locate the search icon and type HBO Max.
- Once the TV display the result, select the HBO Max app to download and install on the TV.
- Finally, launch the HBO Max app on the LG TV and log in with your account credentials to watch your favorite content.
How do I fix HBO Max on my LG smart TV?
HBO not working on LG smart TV? We have a few solutions to help you get your access back to HBO Max originals, TV series, and blockbuster movies.
Test internet connection
Internet access is necessary for the HBO Max app to work. You can test the internet connection on your TV in the following way.
- Press Settings on your LG remote and select the Advanced option.
- Next, select the Network option in the left pane to access network settings.
- If you see Not Connected to Internet’ underneath both wired and Wi-Fi connections, select either option.
- Follow the on-page instructions to set up, test, and establish the internet connection and APN.
- Finally, reboot the TV and see if HBO is working fine now.
Do a force start
Try a force start if your LG TV can’t install the HBO Max app or the streaming content is lagging. To do this:
- First, turn off the TV and unplug the power cord from the main power outlet.
- Now press the Power button on the TV for 30 seconds.
- Next, the TV will reset the settings and restart.
- Finally, go to the LG Content Store and verify that you can install the HBO Max app.
Restart your router
You may have downloaded and installed the HBO Max app on your LG TV but might face an issue where the screen freezes at loading. This usually happens due to a problem with the internet speed.
Now switch on the router and wait a few more minutes until it establishes a connection with the LG TV. Finally, launch the HBO Max app and verify that there are no screen freezing issues.
If the problem persists, contact your ISP to troubleshoot any network bugs and restore internet speed.
Check TV compatibility
Quite a few users report that nothing appears on the app search results when they search for the HBO Max app on their LG TVs. We’ve found that this issue mostly happens when your LG TV is not compatible with the HBO Max app.
If you have an LG OLED TV, LG NanoCall TV, or LG QNED Mini LED TV from the 2018-2021 models running on webOS 4.0 or higher; you are in luck as the HBO Max supports only these models. However, if you have an LG TV older than 2018, you need to upgrade your TV with a new model to enjoy HBO content.
Update HBO Max app
An outdated HBO Max app installed on your LG TV can give rise to numerous issues. Although your TV supports the app, you have to be running the latest version of the app for better functionality. To do this:
- Press the Home button and launch LG Content Store.
- Go to Apps>My Apps and choose HBO Max.
- Next, select the Update option next to the app.
- Wait for the update process to complete and see if HBO is working fine on the TV.
How do I update my LG TV software?
You may have an LG TV compatible with the HBO max app; however, specific problems can emerge if the TV software is outdated. To keep your LG TV updated:
- From the Home screen, go to Settings>Others>Software Update.
- Now the screen will show the current software version of your LG TV.
- Select the Software Update option and wait for a few minutes to let the TV complete the process.
- Afterward, open the HBO Max app and check that the problem you are experiencing is fixed.
HBO Max app lets you access thousands of hours of entertainment through its vast library of TV shows and movies, and you don’t want to miss that. Hopefully, this guide helped you resolve the issue of HBO Max not working on your LG smart TV.
However, if you still can’t get HBO to work, uninstall a few third-party apps as they might be interfering with the HBO app.