Sometimes Sky boxes can become unresponsive or turn off completely, leaving you with two options – wait on hold to Sky for half an hour or buy a new box. So here are four different ways to reset your Sky box without losing your recordings.
Option 1 – Attempt Reboot with Remote
It’s possible to reboot your system using your Sky remote via the following steps:
- First things first grab your remote and hold down the standby button.
- Now, wait for the light to the left of the standby light on the box to start flashing.
- Let go of the standby button and the remote light will flash for around ten seconds.
- The standby light should now be red.
- Wait a moment and then press the Sky button on the remote.
- Press Sky again and the green light on the box should display.
- Now, wait about five minutes for the Sky box to start up.
Option 2 – Complete a Mains Reboot
- Unplug the box from the mains for three minutes.
- Press and hold the buttons either side of the select button on your Sky box while you plug the socket back into the mains.
- After 20-30 seconds the box light will change colour, wait around 20 minutes until it goes back to red.
- With your remote control click TV Guide and you should be back in business.
Option 3 – Planner Rebuild
A Planner Rebuild is a better option to go for to save your stored recordings and settings.
- Firstly, press the Services button.
- Choose option 4 – System Setup.
- Now press the 0, 1 and Select buttons on your Sky remote control.
- This should take you to the Installer Setup menu.
- Now choose option 7 – Sky Planner Rebuild.
- Select Sky Planner Rebuild and wait until the system message ‘Housekeeping please wait’ has gone and the system has restarted.
Although it’s usually the very last resort. When a planner rebuild hasn’t worked, and you’re almost about to throw your box out the nearest window, a factory reset is your last hope.
Seriously though, all of your recordings, series links and reminders will be deleted in the system reset so check these things first:
- Check if the box is in standby mode.
- Is the box connected to the telephone line?
- Is the box and its wiring connected and switched on at the mains?
- Check that your Sky box software is up to date.
- Is there sufficient signal? Are you experiencing bad weather?
- Is the Sky viewing card fully inserted?
Again, all of your recordings, series links, and reminders will be deleted so proceed with caution.
Option 4 – Sky Box Factory Reset
- Click the Services button on your remote.
- Press 001 on your remote then select.
- This will take you to the setup window.
- Click across to system reset and select.
- Finally, a ‘For your information’ box will appear and display ‘Housekeeping please wait’ the box will now reset and reboot.
- This will now complete a planner rebuild and factory resets your box.
- The box will be wiped like new.