Are you asking yourself “why TikTok won’t let me follow anyone?” Are you getting blocked from following people on TikTok as well? This article will help you fix the issues related to this error.
The TikTok platform gained popularity amongst users who love watching short videos. You can view videos between 5 seconds to one minute on your TikTok app. As you continue to use TikTok, you may find some funny and informative videos and would want to follow those users who posted these videos.
However, you face an error on TikTok that won’t let you follow your favourite users. There can be a few reasons why TikTok is not letting you follow someone. It can happen due to a bug in the TikTok app or there can be other factors as well. Let’s dig into detail on why it happens and how you can fix this issue.
Is There A Following Limit on TikTok?
You may have exceeded the minimum follow limit on TikTok that is preventing you from following anyone anymore. TikTok has not exactly mentioned the following limit on their terms and conditions. However, the general rule of thumb is that you follow no more than 30 users per hour.
You can test on your own to know the following limit on your TikTok account. To do this:
- Keep following users until you get the “You are following too fast” error
- Wait for one minute and then try to follow someone again
- Repeat the above step until the error disappears
- Now keep following more users and count them as well until you get the error again
- That total count is your follow limit on your TikTok account
Wy TikTok Limit Your Follows
TikTok is constantly trying to reduce spam and bots on their app. Therefore, if you try to follow other users too fast, TikTok will think of you as a bot and will temporarily block you from following.
You might be implementing a strategy to get you more followers in return by sending follow requests way too fast. This strategy often ends in TikTok limiting your followers. However, if you received the error, you can log out and log back into your account and change your password as well. This method will help let TikTok know that you are not a bot.
Alternatively, if you have reached your follow limit, you have to unfollow some people to be able to follow anyone again.
What To Do If You Didn’t Reach The Follow Limit And Can’t Follow Anyone
If you did not reach the follower limit and still can’t follow anyone on TikTok, this can be due to a processing error. This error often occurs when TikTok stores the user follow count on its cache and can be miscalculated by the TikTok servers.
To fix this issue, you have to clear the TikTok cache on your mobile device and from the TikTok platform as well.
For an Android phone:
- Grab your mobile phone and open its Settings menu
- Tap on the Apps, Apps Management, or Apps manager
- Tap on the App list, scroll down and locate the TikTok app and tap on it
- Clear TikTok app cache by tapping on Clear Data and Clear Cache
- Launch the TikTok and see if you can follow anyone now
To do this on an iPhone:
- Open the Settings menu on your iPhone
- Locate and tap the General option
- Go to the Storage section and tap on it
- Scroll down, locate, and tap on your TikTok app
- Under the troubleshooting section, tap on “Reset cache on next launch”
- That’s it. Now when you launch the TikTok app, the cache memory will be deleted
There is another way of clearing the cache that works for both Android and iOS devices. To do this:
- Tap on the Tiktok app to launch it
- Tap on the “Me” icon to go to your TikTok profile
- Hit the three-dotted menu on the top right-hand side of your mobile phone screen and tap on Privacy and Settings
- Locate the About section and tap on the Cache Memory button that is located just above the log out button
- Tap on Confirm to delete the TikTok app cache
- Open the TikTok app again and see if that fixes the error
How Long Does TikTok block You From Following?
If you are following too fast and get an error, TikTok blocks you from following users that can last from a few minutes to a few days.
For example, if you reach the follow limit and get the “You’re following too fast” error, you may have to wait only a few minutes to be able to follow again. However, if you start following fast again after the error message is gone, TikTok can block you from following users for several days.
Therefore, it is the best approach to use your TikTok following feature carefully after the first error message. Otherwise, the block duration can increase each time whenever you abuse your TikTok follow limit.
Why Can’t I Follow Someone on TikTok Due To Privacy settings?
When you click on your favourite user profile to follow it, you may receive a message “You can’t follow this account due to the user privacy settings”.
TikTok users can make their account Private through TikTok privacy settings. This means that they can choose who can send them direct messages, comments, and follow them as well.
In this case, you have to wait until the user you want to follow unblock you because the user does not want to show his or her videos to you. You have to respect the user’s wish and hope that he or she will allow you to follow again in future.
Following your favourite users on TikTok should not be a problem. However, if you follow users without watching their complete videos, TikTok considers you as a bot and can apply the following limits. We hope that this article helped you fix the error and get the following ability back on your TikTok account. Be sure to visit us again if you have any other problems with your TikTok App