A lot of Firestick users report that its remote starts flashing a yellow and then a red light, and they can’t use it anymore.
A Firestick remote flashing a yellow light, which changes to red, can be due to weak batteries or it got unpaired from the Firestick streaming device. To fix this, replace the batteries with a new set, turn on the Firestick device, and press & hold the Home button for 20 seconds to pair the remote again.
In this article, we’ll explore the possible cause of a blinking yellow and red light on your Firestick remote and what you can do in this situation to troubleshoot the matter.
Why is my Fire Stick remote flashing yellow and red?
If your Firestick remote is flashing yellow and red, one of the following can be the root cause of this issue:
- Remote batteries are weak.
- You are trying to use the remote from a distance of more than 10 feet.
- The remote got unpaired from the streaming stick.
- Remote settings got corrupted and need a reset.
- The Firestick remote is faulty.
How do I fix a firestick remote flashing yellow and red?
To fix a Firestick remote flashing yellow and red, these 7 methods can help you diagnose and troubleshoot the problem quickly:
Replace Weak Batteries
Firestick remotes often blink yellow and red if the batteries get weak. Therefore, the first fix is to replace them with a new pair.
While changing the batteries, insert them in the correct way! Connect the “+” side to the “+” terminal and the “-” side to the “-” terminal in the battery compartment.
Sometimes, the terminals are corroded, and this may even cause the new batteries to fail to work. So, dip a small piece of cloth in an alcoholic solution and clean the terminals with it before inserting the new batteries.
Note: Poor battery and terminal connection can also cause the JVC TV remote to malfunction.
Check Remote Distance From Firestick
It’s possible that your remote is in discovery mode and is indicating this by blinking a yellow and red light on it.
To fix this, try to use your remote within a 10 feet distance from the Firestick. Also, remove any obstructions like a pile of books or a decoration piece between the remote and the streaming stick.
If you are using your Firestick near electronic devices, like a microwave, this may cause interruption with remote signals. So put these devices away and try using the remote again!
Pair Firestick Remote
Your streaming stick may have been sitting idle for a few months, and somehow, the remote got unpaired during this time. This may result in a yellow and then red flashing light on it. To fix this, you need to pair the remote again to the Firestick this way:
- Turn on your Firestick and wait for the home screen to appear.
- Press the Home button on the remote and hold it for 20 seconds.
- Wait for the confirming message to appear on the display, indicating that the remote is paired successfully.
Now inspect the remote and check whether this resolves the issue!
Restart Your Streaming Stick
If you are still experiencing the same problem, restart your Firestick in the following way:
- Unplug the Firestick from the HDMI port of your TV and remove the power cord as well.
- Wait 30-45 seconds.
- Connect the streaming device to the HDMI port of the TV and reconnect the power cable.
- Turn on your Firestick and wait for the Home screen to load on the display.
Use the remote, and hopefully, the yellow and red lights will be gone for good.
Reset The Remote
Sometimes, your Firestick remote needs a reset to fix the yellow and red light flashing on it. Here’s how you can do this whole process (step-by-step instructions).
- Make sure that your Firestick device is on and you are on the Home screen.
- Grab your remote and press the menu button, back button, and left side of the navigational wheel together and hold them precisely for 10 seconds.
- Release these buttons afterward and then wait another 1 minute.
- Take out the batteries out of the Firestick remote.
- As mentioned above, unplug the streaming device and wait for another minute.
- Place the batteries back in the remote in the correct way (See above).
- Plug the Fire Stick device back into the HDMI port of the display and wait for the Home screen to appear.
- Press the Home button on the remote, hold it for 40 seconds, and then wait another 60 seconds.
- Verify that the yellow and red lights are not flashing on the remote anymore.
- If so, restart your Firestick again, wait for it to turn back on (show the home screen), and press and hold the Home button for 10 seconds to reinitiate pairing.
Use Fire TV App To Pair The Remote
You can also use the Fire TV app to pair the remote to the streaming stick and get rid of the annoying yellow and red lights. Here’s how:
- Open the Play Store(Android) or App Store (iPhone) and download the Fire TV app on your phone.
- Make absolutely sure that the phone and the Firestick are connected to a similar Wi-Fi connection.
- Tap to open the Fire TV app on your phone.
- Choose your Firestick device from the list and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Select the keyboard option on the screen and use it to open Firestick “Settings.”
- Select “Controllers & Bluetooth Devices.”
- Choose “Amazon Fire TV Remotes.”
- Choose “Add New Remote.”
- Select your remote from the list, which will pair it to your Firestick.
- Use the volume button or activate the voice control on the remote and verify the fix.
Replace Defective Remote
If all else fails, there’s a possibility that your Firestick remote is damaged and needs replacing. In case the product is under warranty, you can call Amazon customer support at 1-866-216-1072 and ask them to send a replacement.
In this article, we’ve discussed why your Firestick remote is flashing a yellow and then a red light. We’ve also explored some ways to help you fix this annoying glitch on your own.
We hope that with the solutions mentioned in this guide, you can now use your remote to play with different functions and navigate through the Firestick menu without any more hiccups.