So you installed the Grammarly add-on, but it keeps disappearing from Microsoft Word? Have you tried restarting MS Word, but the issue persists? Don’t sweat; this guide will show you what causes Grammarly to malfunction in Microsoft Office Word and what troubleshooting steps can fix the problem.
Grammarly is one of the best spelling and grammar checking programs out there. In addition to the desktop application, browser extensions, and online app, you can benefit from installing Grammarly add-on for MS Word and Outlook.
However, some users report that they often don’t see the Grammarly tab while working on Microsoft Word, and it is nowhere to be found. If you are one of those users, we’ll help you get the Grammarly tool back in Word with easy troubleshooting steps.
Zoom Plugin Not Showing In Outlook On A Mac: How To Resolve
How do I download Grammarly to Word?
To download and install the Grammarly add-on to Microsoft Word, do the following process.
- Visit the Grammarly website to download Grammarly for MS Word and Outlook.
- Click on the download file to execute the launcher and then select Get Started.
- Next, choose the Install option and after the add-on finishes installing, click on Finish.
- Launch MS Word and open a blank document.
- Under the Home tab, click on Open Grammarly.
- Now click on Log in and enter your Credentials on the new window or browser tab.
- Finally, select the Word icon in the Windows desktop taskbar, and you will see the Grammarly add-on in the Word toolbar.
Why does Grammarly disappear from Word?
Now you have downloaded and installed the Grammarly plugin for Windows, but the add-on keeps disappearing from Word? Here are a few causes that could explain Grammarly’s disappearance from the toolbar.
- Grammarly add-on is inactive in Microsoft Word.
- A temporary glitch in your system is causing a conflict with Grammarly.
- Your antivirus software is blocking Grammarly access to MS Word.
- You are trying to install Grammarly on a Microsoft Word version that does not support the add-on.
- Windows updates are disabled on your PC.
How do I get Grammarly back on Word?
To get Grammarly back on Microsoft Word, try the following troubleshooting steps.
Enable Grammarly in Word
The Grammarly tab may not show in the Word toolbar if it’s not active. To enable Grammarly on Microsoft Word, do the following steps.
- Launch MS Word and click on File in the top-left corner of the screen.
- Go to the bottom of the drop-down list and click on Options.
- Now click on Add-ons in the left pane.
- On the right, go to the bottom, select Com Add-ons, and click on the Go button.
- Under the Com Add-ons dialog box, ensure that the Grammarly box is checked.
- Click ok and restart MS Word to verify that the Grammarly option is now visible.
Reboot your PC
If the Grammarly add-on is active in Microsoft Word and you still can’t see the option in the toolbar, shut down your PC and turn it back on. As a Windows user, a simple reboot can be very effective in fixing numerous issues. Apart from that, if Grammarly didn’t initialize properly, restarting the system could do the trick.
Configure your antivirus
Your antivirus software can block Grammarly’s files on Word if it considers the program a threat. To fix the issue, you can prevent the antivirus from scanning Grammarly’s folder.
If you use a third-party antivirus program, you need to add an exception to the Grammarly folder within the antivirus settings. However, Windows Security users can follow the steps below.
- Navigate to the Control Panel start menu, and select Update & Security –> Windows Security –> Virus & Threat Protection –> Manage Settings.
- Next, scroll down to the Exclusions section and select the “Add or remove exclusions” option.
- Now click on Add an Exclusion and browse to Grammarly’s installation folder on your PC.
- Select Grammarly’s folder and click OK to save the changes.
- Finally, open MS Word and verify that the Grammarly option has come out of hiding.
If the issue persists, disable the antivirus Real-time protection under Virus & threat protection tool and check for the problem.
Update MS Office
If you are using an out-of-date Office version, it may not support Grammarly. Therefore, try updating MS Office and see if this fixes the issue. To do this:
- Make sure your PC has an active internet connection.
- Next, launch MS Word and open a blank document.
- Now, click on File located in the upper left corner of the Word screen.
- Select the Account option at the bottom.
- Under the Product Information on the right, select the Update option and click on Update Now.
- Wait for the MS to search and install the updates.
If updating Word doesn’t fix the Grammarly disappearing issue, you might have to reinstall Microsoft Office.
Enable Windows updates
Keeping your Windows updated is crucial for the smooth functioning of the apps within the OS. The Windows Update feature should be keeping your OS updated with regular checks. However, sometimes you may need to initiate the update yourself. To do this:
- In the Windows search box, type Updates and select the “Check for updates in the results” option from the search results.
- When the Windows Update dialog box appears, the system will automatically check for any pending updates.
- Wait for some time to let the utility list the updates.
- If the tool does not start the download automatically, click on the Download button to begin the Windows update process.
- Once the Updates are downloaded, Windows will install the new updates. In some cases, you may need to restart the PC several times to complete the updates installation process.
- After successfully installing the updates, run MS Word and verify that the Grammarly add-on shows in the menu bar.
Grammarly browser extension and the Grammarly online app version are helping many users complete their writing tasks. However, when it comes to Grammarly for MS Word add-on, a few issues are frustrating the users a lot. Hopefully, this article helped you fix the Grammarly add-on disappearing from the MS Word issue.
Leave a comment