Is Microsoft Edge slow and unresponsive on your PC or laptop? Read on to find out how to optimize your web browser for better performance.
The web browser Microsoft Edge was first launched in 2015 and is now a staple on all Microsoft laptops and computers. Unfortunately, for some, Microsoft Edge is performing below par, frequently running slowly and becoming unresponsive.
With the vast majority of us now working from home, a fast-running web browser that works efficiently is more crucial than ever – but what can do you to speed things up?
We’re going to share some quick ways you can optimize your web browser for faster and more efficient use.
Why is Microsoft Edge Slow and Unresponsive?
The most obvious cause for Microsoft Edge loading slowly is due to a poor network connection. Let’s look at how you can troubleshoot this issue to optimize your web browser:
- First, on your PC or laptop, go to ‘Start’.
- Next, go to ‘Settings’, then ‘Update Security’.
- Here, select ‘Troubleshoot’, and then scroll down to ‘Network Troubleshooter’.
- Select ‘Run Troubleshoot’ and wait for the session to finish.
- Once completed, restart your computer, and try loading Microsoft Edge again.
If you’re still finding that Microsoft Edge is running slow, try resetting your Network connections entirely:
- Again, go to ‘Start’, then ‘Settings’.
- Navigate to ‘Network and Internet’.
- Here, select ‘Network Reset’.
- Your computer will reset the Network on your device. This should refresh the connections and hopefully speed up Microsoft Edge.
Is Microsoft Edge still slow and unresponsive? Try checking your Edge Extensions.
Check Microsoft Edge Extensions to Optimise Web Browser
One of the benefits of Microsoft Edge is the extensions and add-ons available in the browser.
Unfortunately, whilst these do have their benefits, they can also cause the browser to become slow and less responsive.
Let’s look at how you can update or remove extensions to get Microsoft Edge running faster:
- Open Microsoft Edge and go to Menu (…) in the top right-hand corner.
- Select ‘Extensions’.
- Here you will find a list of all the extensions currently running in your Microsoft Edge browser.
We recommend uninstalling any extensions that you don’t frequently use. You can also uninstall and reinstall any larger extensions such as Adblocker, to see if that helps speed up the browser.
Repair Microsoft Edge to Prevent Slow & Unresponsive Performance
If you have tried all of the above and still find that Microsoft Edge is slow and unresponsive, you can try and repair Microsoft Edge:
- On your computer or laptop, go to ‘Start’, then ‘Settings’.
- Next, navigate to ‘Apps’, then ‘Apps and Features’.
- Here, you can search for ‘Microsoft Edge’.
- Once located, select the app and go to ‘Advanced Options’.
- You’ll then see two options; ‘Repair’ and ‘Reset’.
- Select ‘Repair’ to fix Microsoft Edge.
- Once completed, restart your computer, and launch the web browser to test the speed.
Please note that selecting ‘Reset’ will result in the loss of cookies, history, and other data saved on your Microsoft Edge browser.
More Tips for a Fast-Running Browser
Microsoft Edge isn’t the only web browser that can be slow and unresponsive. It can happen on almost all web browsers for similar reasons to those given above.
Thankfully, there are steps you can take to avoid a slow-running web browser. That way, you can ensure your time spent online isn’t sluggish and frustrating.
As we know, removing unused extensions is a great way to get your browser running more efficiently. Not only that, but clearing cookies and cache regularly can keep things running faster.
You can also uninstall and reinstall your browser, which will clear all the above and leave you with a clean slate. This tip will help prevent a slow and unresponsive web browser, and will also ensure you are using the latest version too.
There is always the potential that your browser, whether Microsoft Edge or not, will become slow and unresponsive for many different reasons. But, as you can see, you can take steps to prevent this from happening and fix the problem easily if it does.
Have you tried any of the recommendations above? Let us know if they have helped by leaving us a comment!