Roku TVs come with a great selection of popular entertainment channels. You’ll find your favorites, like Netflix, YouTube, and HBO Now. However, it’s quite frustrating when users face the “Roku blinking purple light issue” that robs them of their entertainment.
If Roku is blinking purple light, this happens when the screensaver time settings are misconfigured or there is an issue with the HDMI cable or port. To get rid of the flashing purple light, adjust Wait Time under Roku Settings, check the HDMI ports or replace the HDMI cable.
When your Roku starts blinking a purple light, don’t worry, as it is not as scary as it may seem. This article will outline some of the most common causes of the purple light issue and provide troubleshooting tips to help you get your Roku running seamlessly again.
What does it mean if my Roku light is blinking?
If you are experiencing Roku blinking purple light while trying to stream your favorite program, it could be due to something going on with the player or the remote.
Purple light blinking on Roku player
A purple light blinking on your Roku player is not always a sign of concern. However, this issue has been known to cause a lot of frustration for Roku users and can occur for the following reasons.
- There is an insufficient power supply for the player.
- Roku software needs an update.
- The Roku device is experiencing minor glitches.
- The HDMI cable needs to be replaced.
- The screensaver settings are incorrect.
Purple light blinks on Roku remote
The purple light on the Roku remote often warns about the working condition of the remote. Therefore, when you are experiencing purple light blinking issues with the Roku remote, it means:
- The Roku remote batteries are weak.
- The infrared emitter of the remote is not active.
How do I get my Roku to stop blinking?
There are lots of discussions about Roku owners experiencing blinking purple light, and many users are wondering how they can resolve this issue. Luckily, we have 5 quick solutions for you.
Restart the Roku player
If there is any glitch on your Roku device, the purple light blinking won’t stop and will ultimately annoy you. To resolve the blinking light issue, restart your Roku player by following the steps below:
- Turn on the Roku player and navigate to the home screen menu by pressing the Home button.
- Next, select the Settings option and press the OK button.
- Scroll down and head over to the System option.
- Now, select the System Restart option and press the OK button.
- This will restart the device and remove any minor glitches causing the issue.
- After the system restart, check if this resolves the issue.
Check the power connection
When you connect the player via a USB port to the TV instead of directly connecting it to the power outlet, this creates a power supply deficiency, resulting in the purple light blinking issue. To fix the problem, check the power supply connection in the following way:
- Switch from the USB connection to a direct power supply outlet.
- Check whether the power supply cable is connected properly or has any fault.
- Unplug other electronic devices using the same power supply unit or extension.
- In the case of the Roku remote control, check the batteries and replace them.
Change the screensaver settings
When it comes to a continuous light blinking on your Roku set, the issue might just be due to the screensaver settings. Check the screensaver settings and update them by following the steps below:
- Turn on your Roku device, grab the remote and press the Home button.
- Now, navigate to the Settings option and then select the Screensaver option.
- Next, you have to click on the Preview option and navigate to the Wait Time.
- Afterward, select the desired time.
- Now, check if the device is still blinking the purple light.
Check HDMI connection
If you are using an HDMI cable to connect the Roku device to your TV, the purple light can start blinking if the HDMI connection is loose or the HDMI cable is faulty. To confirm your suspicion:
- First, plug out the HDMI cable from Roku and at the back of the TV.
- Next, reconnect the HDMI cable firmly.
- If the issue persists, use another cable and see if this fixes your problem.
Update the Roku software
If you are running Roku on an outdated version, it can affect how the system performs. Due to this, you might experience several glitches on Roku, including the blinking purple light.
To fix the issue, update Roku software in the following way:
- On the Roku remote, press the Home button and navigate to the Settings.
- Next, scroll down and select the System option.
- Now, go to the System Updates and then select Check Now.
- If new updates are available, Roku will start updating the system and afterward, it will reboot.
- Finally, check if the purple light blinking issue is fixed.
How do I do a hard reset on my Roku?
Sometimes minor glitches on Roku can generate light blinking issues, and because of this, you might be experiencing the purple light blinking.
To remove any glitches, factory reset Roku in the following way:
- Grab your Roku device remote and press the Home button.
- Next, select the Settings option and press OK.
- Now, head over to the System option, scroll down, and navigate to the Advanced System Settings.
- Select the Factory Reset option and follow the instructions on the screen.
- After the factory reset, restart Roku and see if the issue persists.
Note: you can also reset the Roku player from the reset button or pinhole located on the device. To do so, ensure the device is turned on and then press & hold the button for a few seconds.
Hopefully, this guide helped you fix the Roku blinking purple light on the player and the remote. If you are still experiencing the issue, contact Roku support for further assistance regarding the repair or replacement of your device.
Leave a comment