WeChat, the most popular messaging app in China, is so ubiquitous that it’s been nicknamed “the app for everything.” It’s used for text messages, calling, paying bills, booking appointments, and so much more. But what happens if WeChat can’t sign up for your account?
If you cannot sign up with WeChat, this usually happens when you reside outside the country that the app supports or use an already registered phone number. To sign up with WeChat, check if the service is available in your region or sign up with a new unique number.
The WeChat sign-up issue has left a lot of potential users searching for answers. But luckily there are some solutions. In this article, we will discuss why you can’t sign up for WeChat and will provide a few workarounds for you.
Why am I unable to sign up for WeChat?
Below are some reasons why you cannot sign up for the WeChat account.
- WeChat may not be available in your country.
- Your device may not be compatible with WeChat.
- You may not have a strong enough internet connection to use WeChat.
- There may be an issue with the WeChat servers.
- The app or your device might be experiencing some bugs.
- You might be using WeChat unofficial version.
How do I sign up for WeChat?
If WeChat can’t sign up, use the following troubleshooting steps to register with the app quickly.
Restart your device
Due to this, you will face problems while trying to create an account. Therefore, restart your device to fix the glitches. After the restart, open the WeChat app and see if you can sign up now.
Troubleshoot your internet connection
WeChat is an online app that runs on a stable network connection. So, make sure that you are using a strong internet connection while creating an account on the WeChat app.
To troubleshoot the internet, do the following:
- Ensure that you have enough cellular data package or adequate signals in your area.
- Use a Wi-Fi connection if cellular data is acting up.
- Make sure you are not outside the range of your Wi-Fi network.
- If the device can’t connect to Wi-Fi or the signal is poor, try restarting the router.
- If there is any backend problem with your Wi-Fi connection, contact your ISP to resolve these issues and try to sign up again with WeChat.
Usually the easiest way to improve your internet connection is to get a Wi-Fi Booster. These simple boxes are easy to just plug in, and your internet speeds and connection are instantly boosted.
The one I recommend is the Wifi Extender Signal Booster by Netfun. This Booster is economical, but very effective. It will work alongside whatever internet you currently have.
Use a new email or phone number
If you use an email address or phone number that is already registered with another WeChat account, you cannot use it to sign up with WeChat again.
Make sure you use a new phone number and a new email address to create an account with WeChat.
Note: WeChat is a Chinese app available to 100+ countries users where an overseas business license is used to create an official WeChat account. Therefore, check the WeChat-supported countries list to see if the service is available in your region.
Use Assistant Registration Method
The Assistant Registration feature allows you to sign up on the WeChat app with the help of your friend who is using the WeChat app. To do so:
- Ask your friend to scan your WeChat QR code using their WeChat.
- If the person is not near you, ask them to open their WeChat account and go to WeChat team > Account > Help Friend Register > enter your phone number.
In case the Assistant Registration method fails, do the following:
- Head over to the WeChat help and fill out the feedback form.
- Select the platform and region from the drop-down menu.
- Now, choose your category and add a description.
- Next, add the phone number and email that you want to use.
- Finally, tap on the Submit button and wait for the WeChat team to get back to you.
Check WeChat compatibility with your device
If you are using an iOS device, check if it is running on iOS 9.0 or later. For Android devices, the minimum required version is Android 4.4.
Thus, if you are using an older version of iOS or Android, try updating your device software to the latest version and see if you can sign up now with WeChat.
Note: Make sure you are not using an unofficial version of the WeChat app. Avoid third-party sources and download the official app only from the WeChat website, Google Play Store, or the App Store.
Check WeChat server
WeChat may be down or facing some technical difficulties due to which you are unable to sign up. Check WeChat server outage using any third-party outage detecting website.
If the server is down, wait for the WeChat technical team to fix the problem. You can also report to the WeChat support team, who can further assist you.
How do I make a WeChat account outside of China?
If you want to create an account on the WeChat app outside of China, follow the steps below:
- Launch the Play Store or App Store on your device, install the WeChat app, and grant external storage and other required permissions.
- Open the WeChat app and tap the Sign-up option.
- Use your phone number, Google account, Facebook ID, or Apple ID to create the account.
- Next, select your profile image, and type a unique username and password.
- Agree to the Terms of Service and checkmark the Privacy terms.
- Solve the Security Verification puzzle, and a QR code will appear on your screen.
- Ask your friend to scan the code from their WeChat account.
- Once the code is scanned, type your phone number, and you will receive a verification code.
- Type the code in the required field to activate your account.
- Finally, your account is created, and you can start using WeChat.