Are you getting a black or blank screen on your Sky Q box? Does the black screen show up when you use the Sky Go app with your Sky Q box as well? If this is the case, you are in the right place to find quick and easy fixes that will help you solve this issue.
Sky Q is the perfect home entertainment TV platform. It is one of the best ways to watch TV nowadays. Sky Q is doing constant improvements that make it stand apart from the rest of the competition.
However, you can be a victim of the Sky Q box’s black screen or blank screen issues. When that happens, you have no other choice but to call Sky support and wait for an engineer to fix the issue for you. This article will help you fix the black screen issue on your own. Let’s get to it.
Why Is My Sky Box Not Showing a Picture?
Your Sky Q box might not be showing a picture or a black screen while using the Sky Go app due to the following reasons.
- Sky Q box settings are corrupted and need a factory reset
- Sky Go app might be corrupted and requires a reinstall on your mobile device
- You are experiencing a network outage from Sky
- Weather conditions can cause no signal and black screen on the Sky Q box
- Your Sky Q box is faulty and needs to be replaced
How Do I Fix Black Screen On Sky Go?
Sky Go is a mobile video service from Sky that lets you watch your favourite shows anytime you want on your mobile device or a PC. This service is available at no extra cost for all Sky TV subscribers.
While you are using Sky Go on your mobile device or laptop, you can connect the Sky Go app to the Sky Q box to watch live and on-demand shows on the TV screen. However, quite a few users reported that they experience a black screen on the TV while using the app on their Sky Q box.
Restart Your Mobile Device
The first fix for the TV black screen on your Sky Q box is to restart the device that is running the Sky Go app. A simple restart frees up the memory and fixes the bugs in most cases.
Clear App Cache
If restarting the mobile device does not help, clear the Sky Go app cache on your Android device. To do this on an Android phone:
- Open Settings on your Android phone
- Tap on Apps or Apps Manager and then tap on the App list
- Scroll down and select the Sky Go app
- Tap on Clear Cache and Clear Data
To clear the Sky Go app cache on iPhone/iPad, you need to uninstall and reinstall the Sky Go app.
Reinstall Sky Go App
To fix the black screen on Sky Q, you may need to reinstall the Sky Go app on your Android and iOS device. To do this on an iPhone:
- Swipe the iPhone screen up to access the App switcher
- Swipe left or right to find the Sky Go app
- Touch and hold the Sky Go app
- Tap Remove the app and then tap Delete App to remove it from the iPhone library for a complete uninstall
- Now head over to the Apple store
- Search for the Sky Q box
- Download and install the Sky Go app
If you have an Android phone:
- Go to your Android phone Settings
- Tap on the Apps Management or Apps
- Scroll down and select the Sky Go app
- Tap on Uninstall
- Now head over to the Google Play store and search for the Sky Go app
- Download and install the Sky Go app and launch it with the Sky Q box to see if that fixes the black screen issue
Check For Multiscreen Subscription
Another reason that your Sky Go app is showing a black screen on the Sky Q box is the Multiscreen subscription activation. You must have a Sky Q multiscreen subscription to watch your TV shows when Sky Go is connected with your Sky Q box through your mobile device otherwise you will be getting a black or blank screen.
How Do I Reboot My Sky Q Box?
Have you tried all the troubleshooting steps above and still have a black screen on the Sky Q issue while using the Sky Go app? There is one more thing you can do and that is to reboot and reset your Sky Q box to get it working again.
It is possible that the Sky Go app is working fine on your mobile device but there is a problem with your Sky Q box. Therefore, it may need a reboot. Rebooting your Sky Q box is not as simple as turning it off and on. You have to reset it properly.
Do the following pre-checks before rebooting your Sky Q box.
- Make sure that the Sky Q box is placed in a properly ventilated space
- Check that the remote is working fine and its batteries are new
- Do a simple restart before the reboot process
Do A Soft Reset
The first step to rebooting your Sky Q box is to do a soft reset. To do this:
- Long press the Standby button on the Sky Q remote
- Turn off the Sky Q box and remove the plug from the mains
- Verify that there are no flickering lights visible on the box
- Wait for 3-5 minutes and plug in the Sky Q box to the main box
- Turn on the Sky Q box and wait for the instructions
- Short press the Home button once
Reset Sky Q Hard Drive
The next step to do a complete Sky Q reboot is to reset its hard drive. To do this:
- Short press the Home button on the Sky remote
- Select Settings from the instruction menu
- To access the Reset option, Press 0 two times and then press 1 until you see a Select option
- On the next dialogue box, choose the Reset option and then select Reset Hard Drive
- Accept the terms and conditions and press the Select button
- Wait for instructions to disappear and then press the Standby button located in front of your Sky Q box
- Turn on the device using the Sky Q box instead of the remote
Afterward, adjust all the settings on your Sky Q box as the hard drive reset process can wipe your files, pre-existing purchases, and stored content.
Complete The Reboot Process By Doing Factory Reset
If the soft reset and hard drive reset process fails to sort out the black screen on your Sky Q box, the last step is to do a factory reset on your box. To do this:
- Long press the home button on your Sky Q remote
- Choose Settings from the on-screen instructions
- Just like the hard drive reset process, press 0,0, and 1 to access the reset menu
- Press Select to view the instruction menu and choose the Reset option
- Next, select the Factory Reset option
- Accept the warning message by pressing Select again to initiate the reset process
- Let the factory reset process complete automatically
- Press the Standby button on the front of your Sky Q box instead of the Standby button on the remote
- Once the factory reset is done, test all settings such as audio/video, WIFI options, resolutions, and more
- Next, verify that you don’t see the black screen on your Sky Q box
How To Reset Sky Q box Without Remote
If your Sky Q remote is not working, you can reset your Sky Q from the box as well. To do this:
- Unplug your Sky Q box from the mains
- Locate and press the Reset button on the back of your Sky Q box
- Verify that the light is flashing in front of the Q box, then press the Standby button on the box
- The Sky Q box will restart again to complete the reset process
What Would Cause a TV Screen To Go Black?
If your Sky Go app and Sky Q box are working fine and you are seeing a black screen on your TV, there can be something wrong with your TV. We have listed some of those reasons below. You should review them and then seek out the necessary fixes to resolve your black screen issue.
- Your TV’s power supply board is malfunctioning
- The backlight on your TV is poorly adjusted and resulting in a black screen
- The power cord, cable box, and the other auxiliary devices are loosely connected to your TV
- You have accidentally activated the sleep mode on your TV
- There is a problem with your TV panel that may need repair or replacement
Seeing a black screen on your Sky Q box can be frustrating. We hope that this guide helped you figure out the common reasons for this issue and how you can solve it yourself before contacting the Sky Q box customer support centre. We recommend that you inspect the physical elements of your Sky Q box and your TV before going into the troubleshooting steps.