It can be incredibly frustrating when your Sky Q Box drops an internet connection or does not connect to Wi-Fi.
If your Sky Q box is paired directly to the main router, this is often the reason why your Sky Q box keeps losing its internet connection. Instead, reset your connection and pair the box with a booster instead to create a new 5GHz connection.
You will not be able to view or download content from your Sky Q Box without a solid connection. This makes your Wi-Fi extremely important while utilizing this device. Fortunately, most Sky Q Box problems are easy to fix. Let’s dive into how to fix the Wi-Fi on your Sky Q Box below.
How to know if your Sky Q Box is not connected
First, let’s look at the complete list of services that will be affected by a lost internet connection:
- My Q – You will no longer have access to new series within My Q.
- Home Screen – The home screen will not be available.
- Sports – Live Sport, BT spot, and On-demand Sports will not be available.
- Kids – You won’t have access to kids sections, including Sky Cinema or streaming tv shows.
- Music – Featured music, Sky Arts, and Vevo music will not be available.
- Streaming Content – You can no longer stream videos.
- Applications – Your favorite apps like Youtube and Vevo will be visible but no longer work.
- The Search Feature – You can only search your TV guide and recordings.
- My Sky – My Sky area will be unavailable.
- Airplay – Playing music through your Sky Q Box will not be available.
- My Photos – You will no longer have access to view your photos through Facebook or on your TV.
- Password Changes – You cannot change your PIN on your Sky Q Box without an internet connection.
Unfortunately, if these services are no longer available to you, you are likely experiencing a connectivity problem. Let’s explore options to solve your issue and get you back to streaming, downloading, or listening to music.
Why does my Sky Q Box keep losing internet connection?
Whether this is the first or 10th time you have lost connection on your Sky Q Box, it’s understandable that you’re upset. Let’s work to get you back to binging your favorite shows.
Most importantly, a Sky Q Box needs powerful internet to stream HD media. Check your internet speed here to see if that is the issue. If your internet speed isn’t fast, you might have other devices dragging it down. Turn off other devices that connect to your internet and try again.
Reset your Sky Q Box
If your internet speed is not the issue, most commonly, a reset will help fix your problem. Follow these steps to reset your Sky Q Box:
- Turn off your Sky Q Box.
- Turn off all devices connected to the Sky Q Box. (Like your router or TV)
- Ensure that all of the lights on the Sky Q Box are off.
- Leave the box and connected devices off for five minutes.
- Switch your devices back on.
For instance, if this reset worked, your Sky Q Box would be green, and you will see the Sky welcome channel on your TV.
Update the software on your Sky Q Box
Hopefully, this reboot resolved your connection issues. If you still can not connect to the internet, you might need to update your Sky Q Box software. Follow these steps to update your Sky Q Box’s software:
- Hold down the standby button on your remote, then turn your Sky Q Box off on the main device.
- Leave the Sky Q Box off for 5 minutes.
- Hold down the backup button on the Sky Q Box.
- While still holding down the backup button, turn the Sky Q Box on at the main device.
- Keep holding down the backup button for 30 more seconds. The Sky Q Box should boot up.
- Four lights should come on the front panel of your Sky Q Box. When you see the four lights, you can release the backup button.
Once you have successfully started the update, the box will go into download mode. Your TV screen will say Updating System Software. This usually takes 15 minutes to complete. Once your Sky Q Box has updated, it will switch to standby mode. Wait four more minutes, then change the Sky Q Box back on by pressing the Sky button on your remote.
Try the first steps again if your Sky Q Box never went into download mode. If you cannot update the software, your Sky Q Box has a more severe problem. Get in touch with Sky Q Box support for more help.
Granted that, the reset or update worked to restore your Wi-Fi connection to your Sky Q Box. If they did not, let’s troubleshoot your internet connectivity.
Troubleshoot the internet connectivity to your Sky Q Box
Is your Sky Q Box still not working? Let’s troubleshoot. Follow these steps:
- Turn the Wi-Fi off your Sky Q Box. Go to the engineer’s menu > find settings but do not click it, instead enter 1001.
- Create a new Wi-Fi network using your router. For assistance, call Sky Q Box’s customer support at 0800 433 7964.
- Turn on your Sky Box Wi-Fi, then join the new Wi-Fi network.
- Go to the IP address settings under Network Advance Settings on the Sky Q Box and manually change the DNS server settings to 18.104.22.168
- Reconnect your Sky Q Box to the Wi-Fi.
In conclusion, hopefully, you can fix your connection issue and start enjoying Sky TV again by using these simple steps. If you were unable to resolve your issues, take a quick look at our article on common Sky Q connectivity issues for more ideas on how to tackle your problems.