Are you using the Reddit app on your iOS or Android device, but the app is not working when you access it via mobile data? Don’t worry; this guide will show you how to fix the connection issues between your mobile data and the Reddit app.
You can use the Reddit app while on the go through your network operator’s mobile data. However, some users have reported that Reddit is working fine on a WiFi connection, but not loading when connected to their mobile data. Let’s look at seven different reasons why the issue occurs and we will share the solutions.
Why is the Reddit app not working on mobile data?
If your Reddit app is not working via mobile data, it’s likely because of one of these reasons:
- Reddit servers are down for maintenance or upgrades.
- Your mobile data package has expired, or you need to charge your mobile account balance.
- You have selected the wrong SIM to use for data purposes.
- You have not permitted the Reddit app to use mobile data.
- Network service provider APN settings are misconfigured.
- Your service provider is blocking the Reddit app.
How to fix the Reddit app not loading on mobile data?
If the Reddit app is not loading or working on mobile data, try the following troubleshooting steps by process of elimination.
Check Reddit servers
The first thing to verify is whether Reddit is the only app having issues with mobile data. Therefore, try accessing other apps. If all other apps are working correctly, it’s likely that the Reddit servers are down.
Toggle Airplane mode
Sometimes, mobile data is on, but there is no internet connection which could be preventing you from using the Reddit app. To resolve the issue, simply turn on Airplane Mode on your cellphone for 60 seconds and then turn it back off again. Hopefully, your mobile data will now be working, and you can successfully launch and load the Reddit application.
Restart your device
Aside from turning on and off Airplane Mode, restarting your mobile device is often a quick solution to fix any mobile data problems. If your mobile data isn’t working, it could be caused by a temporary glitch from your mobile phone operator that can be fixed by restarting your cellphone.
Check mobile data balance
Well, you can’t use mobile data if you have no balance in your mobile account. A few people on a prepaid SIM card opt to top up their mobile balance only when the balance reaches zero. Also, some people choose to buy mobile data packages.
In both cases, if your data plan package has expired or you have no balance in your mobile account, you can’t access Reddit or any other app that requires the internet. Therefore, top up your mobile balance or buy another data subscription and recheck to see if the Reddit app is operational.
Use the correct network mode
Selecting the wrong mobile network mode can hinder your Reddit app experience by slowing down your internet speed. Most devices come with 4G or 5G mobile network settings. You need to ensure that you choose the appropriate network mode for your device. Otherwise, the wrong mode can cause internet connectivity problems.
To do this:
- Launch the Settings menu from the Home screen and tap on SIM card & mobile network.
- If your phone has dual SIM functionality, choose the one you are using for mobile data.
- Under Network settings, tap on Preferred network type.
- For the best user experience, choose the 2G/3G/4G auto option.
- Finally, restart the phone and launch Reddit to confirm that the app is loading on mobile data.
Check network permissions
Sometimes, the Reddit app may not have the necessary permissions to use mobile data resulting in restricted usage. You can fix this issue in the following way.
- On your mobile device, navigate to Settings –> SIM card & mobile data –> Data usage –> Network permissions.
- Next, scroll and select the Reddit app.
- Finally, allow the app to use WiFi and mobile data.
Make sure Data Saver mode is off
While the Reddit app is running in the background, it will not use mobile data if the Data Saver option is enabled on your device. Furthermore, the Reddit app running in the foreground will decide if data saving measures are applicable or not, resulting in intermittent app malfunction.
Therefore, try turning off the option to fix the mobile data issue. To do this, go to device Settings –> SIM card & mobile data –> Data Usage –> Data saver and toggle the switch to the off position.
How do I reset APN to fix the Reddit app?
Access Point Name (APN) acts as a gateway and connects your mobile network to the internet. Without the correct APN settings, you won’t be able to load Reddit or any other app via mobile data, even if your SIM card has a data subscription.
Sometimes, things may go wrong when the APN settings are changed manually or after a device software upgrade. To fix this issue, try resetting the APN settings in the following way.
- Navigate to Settings –> SIM card & mobile data and select the SIM you use for mobile data.
- Next, tap on Access point names under the Network settings option.
- Tap the 2-dot or 3-dot button in the top right corner and hit the Reset to default option.
Hopefully, this guide will help you fix the Reddit app loading issue on mobile data. Additionally, check for a parental filter by your service provider that could be blocking the Reddit app. You can do this by calling your network provider’s customer support or accessing their website and turning off parental control yourself.