Lots of TikTok users report that sometimes their filters won’t show. Why is this?
TikTok won’t show filters because either the app is outdated, the cache memory is full, or your device needs to be restarted.
Luckily, there are 6 simple fixes to get your filters showing again, which are:
- Check for a TikTok server error
- Disable dark mode
- Restart your phone
- Update your TikTok app
- Clear cache memory
- Uninstall and reinstall the app
In this post, I’ll take a look at the three main causes of this problem, and then go through the six simple fixes so you can get your filters back permanently.
Why are my TikTok Filters Not Showing?
Are you thinking of changing the look of your video? Then try adding a filter to it. Filters are pre-set overlays that you add to make your photo or video more attractive.
Instagram, Snapchat, and other photo-editing apps like VSCO come with filters.
Here are a couple of reasons why your filters may not be showing.
Reason 1 – Outdated App
Your filter may stop working if you’re using an older version of TikTok. Sometimes, not having the latest app update can be the cause.
Reason 2 – Cache Memory Full
Cached data refers to folders, scripts, photos, and any other multimedia saved on your device after using an app or visiting a website.
This information is then utilized to rapidly gather information about the app or website each time it is accessed, lowering load time. However, if your cache memory is full, it can affect how an app operates, causing filters not to show.
Reason 3 – Phone Needs to Restart
Apps suck up RAM in most current operating systems as you use them. So the more apps you have open, the more RAM they consume.
Unfortunately, the more RAM your phone uses, the slower it becomes. It can even affect how some apps work because there’s not enough memory to operate.
However, when you shut programs or clear them manually from memory, they are not fully closed out.
Traces of the app linger, filling up your RAM unnecessarily and leaving less and less place for new apps. Your TikTok filters won’t show because your ram might be full.
How to Fix TikTok Filter Error – 6 Fixes
If your filters are not showing, try combining one or more of the fixes below.
1. Server Error.
Sometimes, the problem isn’t from the user end but the server end. For example, TikTok may have an issue or are carrying out system maintenance on their servers.
Unfortunately, there’s nothing to do if the cause is from the server-side. Wait for a bit till it starts showing again. However, if you’re confident the servers are fine, try another fix below.
2. Disable Darkmode
Some users have reported that disabling dark mode on TikTok helps fix the issue with their filters not showing.
Here’s how to turn off dark mode.
- Tap Me in the lower right corner of your TikTok app to access your profile.
- To access your settings, tap the three dots in the top right corner.
- Select Dark mode.
- Toggle between dark and light modes by tapping the circle under Dark until the dark mode is off.
- Check to see if the filters are back.
3. Restart Your Phone
Earlier, we mentioned how a full RAM could cause your apps to misbehave. Try clearing the RAM and restarting your phone to see if it’ll resolve the issue.
- Hold down the menu button until “Power Off” or “Restart” pops up to restart your phone.
- If you’re using an android, then hitting restart reboots your phone. If you’re using an iPhone, you’ll need to turn your phone off, give it a few seconds, and then turn it back on.
- Once your phone is fully on, check if filters are back on your TikTok app.
4. Update Your TikTok App.
Your TikTok filters may not show because your app needs updating. When was the last time you updated? If you haven’t updated in a while, then do so now.
Here’s how to update your TikTok app.
- Visit the App Store (iOS) or the Play Store (Android users).
- Search for TikTok from your profile page.
- Alternatively, Android users can select “Manage Apps & Device” from the drop-down menu on your profile page.
- If an update is available on the app, click on update and wait for it to finish running.
- Once the update is complete, open TikTok and see if the filters are back.
5. Clear Cache Memory.
If an app’s cache memory is full or damaged in any way, it can cause some features on the app to stop working. If you’ve tried the fixes mentioned above and your filters are still not showing, then try clearing your cache.
Every app has its cache memory. So, we’ll be clearing TikTok’s cache memory in this case.
You can clear the cache memory using these steps:
For Android users:
- Click on settings from your application menu page
- On your settings page, scroll down till you see “Apps,” then open it.
- Search for TikTok and click on it.
- Look for storage and click on it. You should see a clear cache or clear data button. Tap on clear cache to clean the cache memory.
For iOS users:
- Launch the TikTok app and click on your profile.
- Click on the three dashes to bring up the settings and privacy tab.
- Scroll down to Cache and Cellular Data and click on clear cache.
- You should see the cache memory reset to zero.
Head to your TikTok page and see if the filters are back. Start creating awesome content.
6. Uninstall and Reinstall the App
If your filters still aren’t showing, then it’s time to try a more drastic approach, i.e., uninstalling and then reinstalling the app. Note: If you have any video saved in your drafts, uninstalling the app will delete those drafts.
Here’s how to delete TikTok from your smartphones:
- Look for TikTok on your home page or application menu page.
- Next, press and hold the icon until an options screen pops up.
- Finally, click on Remove (iOS) App or Uninstall ( for Android users) to delete the app.
- Once that’s done, head on over to your Play Store or App Store, search for TikTok, and click on install to reinstall it.
If you’ve tried all the options above and your filters are still not showing, then you should take the problem to the source. TikTok has a help and support center you can use to report problems with your app.
You’ll be asked to provide an email so they can contact you with a viable solution. If you want to make the most of your TikTok experience, then check out tips on improving your sound quality.