Telegram is a messaging app known for its encrypted chat feature, making it a preferred choice for many people who want to keep their messages private. However, things can go south, and you may see a Telegram error “update app to login,” leaving you frustrated.
If you are experiencing the Telegram error saying update the app to login, it happens due to technical issues with the app, or the app is not updated correctly. To troubleshoot the error, restart your device or update the telegram app from the App Store or Google Play Store.
In this article, we will discuss how to fix the Telegram login error with some quick DIY fixes so that you sign in to the app and resume your communications without any issues.
Why is Telegram not signing in?
One of the following might be the reason why you are seeing the Telegram error update app to login message on your device’s screen.
- The version of the Telegram app you are using is outdated.
- There are some technical issues with the app.
- The app is not updated correctly.
- The telegram app’s installation files are corrupted.
- App cache data has become bulky or corrupted.
- Your device is experiencing glitches due to which a conflict is created with the app.
- The Telegram server is facing an outage.
How do I fix the Telegram error update app to login?
Try out the following 4 methods to quickly fix the Telegram error update app to login message on your device.
Update the Telegram app
The first thing you should do is to update the Telegram app correctly. An outdated app can be the cause of the errors in the Telegram phone and desktop app.
To update the app, do the following:
- Grab your device and ensure that you are connected to a stable internet connection.
- Head over to the App Store or Google Play Store, type Telegram, and select the app from the search list in the search bar.
- Now, tap on Update and wait for the process to complete.
- After the update, launch the Telegram app and try signing in to verify the fix.
Note: You can also update the app under the profile option in the Google Play Store or App Store. To do so, go to Profile > My apps and games > Updates tab. Afterward, find the Telegram app and tap on the Update option.
Restart your phone
Next, try restarting your phone. This will close all apps and services running in the background and clear out bugs and glitches in the app. As a result, it will help you fix the update error on Telegram.
To restart your phone, follow the steps below:
- Press and hold down the Power button for a few seconds until you see the power menu.
- From the power menu, select Restart or swipe the slider to restart.
- Now, wait for your device to reboot.
- Afterward, try signing in to Telegram to check if the error is resolved.
Clear cache data
If restarting your phone doesn’t work, clear the app’s cache data to reset the app and delete all its corrupted and temporary files. To remove the Telegram cache data on your device, follow these steps:
- Go to the Settings menu and tap on Apps/Applications Manager.
- Locate and select the Telegram app from the list.
- Now, tap on the Storage option and then select Clear Cache.
- Reboot your phone and open the Telegram app to see if the error has been fixed.
- Head over to the Settings app and tap on the General option.
- Now, go to iPhone Storage, find the Telegram app, and tap on it.
- You will see the Offload App option, tap on it.
- This will uninstall the Telegram app, but the app data will be saved.
- Next, go to the App Store and search for the Telegram app.
- Tap on the Install option and launch the app once the app is installed.
- Log in to the app and see if the issue persists.
Uninstall and reinstall the Telegram app
Another reason why you are facing the error is that the installation files of the Telegram app are corrupted. Uninstall and reinstall the Telegram app to delete corrupted installation files of the app from your phone and install a fresh copy. To do so:
- Grab your phone and hold the Telegram app.
- Now, tap on Uninstall and then select OK to confirm.
- After the app has been uninstalled, go to the App Store or Google Play Store and search for the Telegram app to download it.
- Next, tap on the Install option to install the app.
- Finally, launch the Telegram app and try signing in to verify the fix.
How do I factory reset my phone?
If none of the above methods work, try factory resetting your phone. This will erase all corrupted data, files, or glitches from your phone that create conflict with the app, resulting in different issues like being unable to send messages or login errors. To do so:
- From your Android phone’s home screen, go to Settings.
- Now, scroll down to the Systems/General Management option and tap on the Reset option.
- Under the Reset menu, tap on the Factory Data Reset option.
- Scroll down, tap on the Reset option and enter your phone PIN or password.
- Afterward, confirm your action when prompted.
- Head over to the Settings menu on your iPhone, tap on the General option, and tap on Transfer or Reset.
- Next, tap on the Erase All Contents and Settings.
- Your iPhone will restart after the update and set to default settings.
- Configure your device after the reset is complete, and install the app.
Finally, launch the Telegram app to see if the issue is resolved.
Note: A factory reset will delete all the data from your phone, so make sure to back up all your important data before proceeding.
This article provides four easy-to-follow steps to help you troubleshoot and fix the Telegram error update app to login. Hopefully, with these steps, you can login to the Telegram app and start connecting with your family and friends.
However, if you are still getting the error, connect with Telegram customer support service to get further assistance.