Telegram is an instant messaging application with many intuitive features. One of the app’s features is the ability to create groups of up to 200,000 people. However, users occasionally report that Telegram can’t join a group.
If you are experiencing trouble while joining a Telegram group, it is because the group is private, or you have surpassed the group’s joining limit. To resolve the issue, ask the admin to send you the invitation link or leave some of your other groups.
Are you unable to join a group, but instead receive an error message on Telegram that says, “Can’t join this group”? In this blog post, we will explain what is preventing you from joining the Telegram groups and how you can troubleshoot the issue.
Why can’t I join the Telegram group?
If you are trying to join groups on the Telegram but getting an error message, one of the following might be the reason.
- You are banned or reported by the admin.
- The group is a secret or private group.
- You have surpassed the limit of how many groups you can join.
- The Telegram app on your device is running on an outdated version.
- The group is not active or has been banned.
- The app cache is corrupted or bulky.
What to do if I can’t join a group on Telegram?
Follow the approaches below to resolve the “Telegram can’t join group” error.
If you are using an outdated version of the Telegram app, you might not be able to join groups. To fix this problem, update your Telegram app to the latest version in the following way:
- First, launch the Google Play Store on your device, tap on the Profile icon and go to the Manage apps and device option.
- Now, tap on the Manage tab, locate the Telegram app, and tap on it.
- Afterward, tap on the Update option to initiate the update process.
- After the update, launch the Telegram app and see if this fixes the issue.
Note: Also try uninstalling and downloading the Telegram app again to resolve any minor glitches that the app is experiencing.
Clear the Telegram cache
If you are joining a Telegram group for the first time and getting an error message, it might be due to a glitch in the app. In such cases, clearing the Telegram cache often resolves the issue.
- Grab your Android device and launch the Telegram app.
- Tap on the Menu icon (three horizontal lines) at the top left of the screen.
- Next, tap on the Data and Storage option.
- Select the Storage option and tap on the Clear Telegram Cache option.
- Again, tap on the Clear Cache.
- Open the Telegram app and login into your account, if needed.
- From the bottom right side of the screen, tap on the Settings option.
- Now, go to Data and Storage and tap on the Storage Usage option.
- Afterward, select the Clear Telegram Cache option.
- Once you clear the Telegram cache, try joining a group to see if the problem persists.
Check if you are banned by the admin
It is possible that you might have been banned by the group administrator of the Telegram messaging app. In such a case, you will get the error message while joining a group. To check if you are banned or have any restrictions on your account, follow the steps below:
- Launch the Telegram app on your device and tap on the Search icon.
- Type @spambot in the search bar.
- Tap on Spam Info Bot; this will take you to the chat.
- Now, tap on the Start button on the button of the screen.
- If there are any restrictions on your account, the Spambot will let you know.
- Ask group admin to unban you and add you, or create a new account to join the group.
Ask the admin to add you
If the Telegram group is private or secret, you will experience an issue while joining unless you have been invited by the group administrator. Ask the group admin to add you manually.
However, if the admin is trying to add you but the problem persists:
- On your device, open the Telegram app and tap on the three horizontal lines.
- Now, tap on the Privacy and Settings option.
- Under the Privacy header, tap on the Groups option.
- Under who can add me to group chat, tap on Everybody.
- A checkmark will appear on the top right side of the screen; tap it to save your settings.
- Finally, ask the admin to try adding you and verify the fix.
Note: You can also ask the admin to send you the group invitation link, but make sure to join before the link expires. Telegram group links expire after 24 hours.
Is there a limit on joining a Telegram group?
The total limit to join Telegram groups is 500. Once you have reached this limit, you will face issues while joining more groups.
To join more groups, you will have to leave some older groups that you had joined. Telegram also limits the number of members in a group. After the limit is surpassed, the group admin cannot add more members.
Where are the cache files of the Telegram desktop app?
If you are using the Telegram desktop app and can’t join groups, clear the cache in the following way to resolve the issue.
- Turn on your PC and launch the Telegram desktop app.
- Click on your Profile and select Settings from the menu.
- Head over to the Advanced option and click on Manage Local Storage.
- Here, click on the Clear all to delete all cache data or set the time duration for clearing the cache.
- Finally, click on the OK option and try joining a group to see if the issue is resolved.
Telegram is a great way to keep in touch with people all over the world, but sometimes users face the Telegram can’t join group error. In this article, we have outlined solutions to help you resolve this problem.
Hopefully one of these tips will help you get connected with your friends, family members, and other communities. However, if you are still unable to join a group, contact Telegram Customer support.
Leave a comment