The TalkTalk Box is a set-top box that allows you to record your favorite shows with a built-in record feature. However, some users face problems with their TalkTalk Box not playing recordings.
If your TalkTalk box is not playing your recordings, this happens when the box’s cable connection is loose, or there is a bug in the software. To troubleshoot the recording playback issue, secure the cable connection between the TV and the box or factory reset the box to its default settings.
In this article, we will discuss why you are facing a problem while trying to play recordings on your TalkTalk box and how you can get it fixed.
Why is my TalkTalk box not playing recordings?
Below are some reasons why your TalkTalk is having trouble while playing recordings.
- You had a poor internet connection or weak Wi-Fi signals while recording the videos.
- The TalkTalk box is not updated to the latest version.
- Your TalkTalk box is facing glitches.
- There was insufficient storage space, due to which the box could not record.
- The HDMI cable on the box and TV is not connected firmly.
How do I fix my TalkTalk box not playing recordings?
Is your TalkTalk box not playing recordings? Follow the below step-by-step solutions to fix the issue.
Restart your TalkTalk box
The first DIY solution you should try is to restart your TalkTalk box. This will help in clearing out any minor glitches in the box. To do so:
- Unplug your TalkTalk box from the mains.
- Also, unplug it from the TV or any other connected device.
- Wait for 30 seconds and plug the box back into the mains and TV.
- Once the box restarts, try to play any recording to see if the issue is resolved.
Check the cables and connection
When the HDMI cable is not connected firmly during the recording phase, your TalkTalk box will not record videos correctly and you will see a blank screen while playing the recording.
Therefore, you should first inspect the connection and check whether the cable is secure in the HDMI port of your TV and the TalkTalk box.
If there are any issues with connecting them, replace the HDMI cable and record a video. Afterward, play the recording to see if the problem persists.
Check your internet connection
If your TalkTalk box keeps losing internet connection or is not connected to the internet when you set it to record a video, you will later face issues while trying to play the recordings.
To rule this out, ensure that you are connected to the network before setting up your box to record a video. To do this:
- Press the Home button on your TalkTalk box remote to go to the Menu.
- Under the Menu, select the Settings option and choose Broadband Connection.
- Lastly, check if you are connected to the internet.
If your internet connection is weak, it can also prevent the TalkTalk box from recording videos and playing them. To rule this out:
- Place your broadband router close to the TalkTalk box.
- Increase your router’s bandwidth and channel to get a guaranteed speed.
- Ensure that your router is connected to the internet.
- Use an Ethernet cable to connect the box directly to the router.
Note: Get in touch with your internet service provider to resolve any issues with the internet on their end.
Update your TalkTalk box
An outdated software version of the box can interfere with your TalkTalk box’s performance, generating issues while playing the recordings. Therefore, ensure that the TalkTalk box is updated to the latest version. To do so:
- On your TalkTalk box remote, press the Menu button.
- Now, select the Settings option and head over to the Software Information option.
- Afterward, choose the Update Software option to initiate the update process.
- Finally, try playing the recordings and see if the problem is fixed.
Perform a soft reset
If the TalkTalk box is experiencing an issue while playing recordings, perform a soft reset. This will not delete any recordings or settings on your TalkTalk box. To do so:
- Locate the Power button on your TalkTalk box and hold it for 30 seconds.
- Now, wait for the box to restart.
- Once the box is turned on, head over to your recordings and try playing one to verify the fix.
Factory reset the TalkTalk box
Any glitches or viruses in your TalkTalk box can prevent you from playing recordings. To troubleshoot the problem, do a factory reset on the box in the following way:
- Press the Menu button on your TalkTalk remote.
- Now, head over to Settings by pressing the Up arrow key.
- Under Settings, choose the Factory reset option and confirm when prompted.
- Once the reset process is complete, configure the TalkTalk box like a new one.
- Finally, record a video and see if you can play it now.
Note: Remember that factory reset will delete any recordings or settings saved on the box.
How do I reset my TalkTalk YouView box without losing recordings?
If you don’t want to lose any recordings while resetting the box to resolve the issue, factory reset the TalkTalk box in Maintenance mode by following the steps below:
- Press the Power button on your TalkTalk box to turn it on.
- Now, simultaneously, press and hold the + button and the – button on the box.
- Next, release the button when you see the Maintenance mode menu on the screen.
- Use the + button and head over to the Factory Reset Keep Recordings option.
- Select the option by pressing the Power button to confirm your action.
- Once the reset process is complete, your TalkTalk box will restart, displaying the initial setup process.
- Complete the process, head over to your saved recording, and see if the issue has been resolved.
In this article, we discussed why you are experiencing trouble with your TalkTalk box not playing recordings and mentioned a few DIY fixes. Hopefully, with these steps, you can fix the box and get back to watching your favorite recorded shows.
However, if the problem persists, get in touch with the TalkTalk support team for further help.