When you are using a Fire Stick, chances are you’ll run into issues where your Amazon Fire Stick remote only turns the TV on and off. This can be incredibly infuriating if you want to use the remote for anything else, like changing the volume or navigating through different channels.
If your Amazon Fire Stick remote buttons are not working except for the on and off buttons, it could be due to outdated remote firmware or weak remote batteries. To get the remote buttons working, update the remote firmware and or replace the weak batteries.
A lot of people are reporting that their Fire Stick remotes are not working correctly and the buttons are malfunctioning. If this happens to you, don’t worry – In this article, we will discuss how you can easily fix the Fire Stick remote buttons.
Why is only the power button working on my Fire Stick remote?
Below are some of the reasons why your Fire Stick remote only turns the TV on and off.
- The Remote or the TV is experiencing some minor glitches.
- There is a compatibility issue between the Amazon Fire Stick and your TV.
- The batteries of the remote control need to be replaced.
- You need to update the remote’s firmware.
- The remote isn’t paired correctly with the Fire Stick.
How to fix my Amazon Fire Stick remote buttons?
The Fire Stick remote control allows you to turn your TV on and off, turn the volume up or down, or fast-forward, rewind, pause or mute a movie or TV show.
However, there are times when the Amazon Fire Stick remote only turns the TV on and off. To troubleshoot the problem, follow the methods outlined below.
Power cycle the Fire Stick
One way to get your remote up and running is to power cycle your TV to remove any bugs or glitches on it.
- Unplug the TV power cord from the main power outlet and wait for 30 seconds.
- Next, plug the power cord back in and turn it on.
- Now, wait for the Fire Stick to power up.
- Once the Fire Stick is back on, hold down the Power button on the remote for 10 seconds. This will force the Fire Stick to sync with the remote.
- Finally, check if all the buttons of your Fire Stick remote are working.
Note: Also try updating your Fire Stick to resolve the glitches.
Turn off other interfering devices
If your Amazon Fire Stick remote does not work with other commands besides turning the TV on and off, check if other devices with wireless connections are turned on.
These devices can interfere with your remote, resulting in an issue. Therefore, if you have other devices in the same area, try turning them off and see if this fixes the issue.
Check for compatibility issues
Another reason why your remote may only turn on and off the TV is because of compatibility issues. Not all TVs are compatible with the Fire Stick remote, so you’ll have to check the compatibility before buying or using it.
Alternatively, if you are facing compatibility issues, you can use the Fire Stick app to control your TV from your phone. To do this:
- Open the Google Play Store or App Store and search for Amazon Fire Stick.
- Install the app and launch it.
- Enter your credentials to log in to your Amazon Fire Stick account.
- Now, press the Power button to switch on your TV.
- Next, tap on the Device/TV on the app, and a code will be displayed on your TV screen.
- Paste the code in the app and enjoy using your phone as a remote.
Replace the batteries
If the batteries in your Amazon Fire Stick remote are weak or not placed correctly, it will either stop working or will show glitches, such as only certain keys will work.
In order to get the full use of the remote:
- Remove the back of the cover and take out the batteries.
- Clean the battery’s compartment to remove dust particles.
- Place the batteries back correctly and try using the remote to see if this works; otherwise, replace them.
Pair the remote correctly
Sometimes, the remote does not pair fully with your device, which results in glitches. To fix the issue, you need to pair the remote with the TV by following the steps below:
- First, unpair the remote by pressing the Back and Home buttons together for 10 seconds.
- Now, to pair it again, wait for a few seconds and press the Fire Stick remote Home button for 10 seconds.
- This will initiate the pairing process and your remote keys should start working now.
Update the remote firmware
Updating your Fire Stick remote’s firmware can also help with fixing the remote keys. To do this:
- Connect your phone with the TV using the Fire Stick app.
- Navigate to the Settings menu and choose the Controllers and Bluetooth Devices option.
- Now, select the Amazon Fire TV Remotes option and select your remote.
- If the update is available, tap to download it.
- Finally, check your remote buttons and verify the fix.
How do I reset my Amazon Fire Stick remote?
If you are still facing problem with your Fire Stick remote, reset it to the default setting in the following way:
- Grab your Fire Stick and press & hold the Home button.
- Simultaneously, press the Menu button 3 times and then let go of the Home button.
- Next, keep pressing the Menu buttons for 9 times, and then take out the batteries from the Fire Stick.
- Now, turn off your Fire TV and unplug it; wait for 1 minute.
- Turn on the TV and place the batteries back on the remote.
- When the Home Screen displays, press & hold the Home button for 1 minute and wait another minute to complete the reset process.
Note: You can also reset your Fire Stick without the remote.
We hope this article was helpful in troubleshooting when your Amazon Fire Stick remote only turns the TV on and off. We recommend trying out simple solutions first, such as replacing the batteries, before trying out complex approaches.
If your Fire Stick remote is still having the problem, contact Amazon support.
Leave a comment